'Independence' means freedom from external control. The partners own Beaton Capital. Strategic and financial advice is our only business.
'Focus' means concentrated energy and sharpness of vision. Beaton Capital specialises in what we know best, professional services.
'Experience' means knowledge accumulated from many years of participation and observation. The partners of Beaton Capital have worked in the professions since the 1980s.
'Excellence' means the highest quality. The partners and staff of Beaton Capital aim to be world class in everything we do.
‘Beaton Capital has the intellectual rigour and depth of experience to mark it out as a global leader in providing independent, focused advice to professional services firms. Very few others even come close.’
Beaton Capital is a leading independent corporate advisory firm operating in Australia and Asia providing strategic and financial advice to our clients.
We specialise in advising professional service firms on:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Owners’ exits and divestments
- Balance sheet and capital optimisation
Our knowledge and expertise come from a combination of our professional careers, our extensive involvement in advising leading legal, accounting, financial, engineering and other professional services including healthcare and the rich research undertaken by ourselves and by our sister company, Beaton Research + Consulting.
As a Beaton company, we are widely trusted with a legacy of more than 25 years’ work among professional service firms, professional faculties of leading universities and professional associations.
We do not divulge the names of our clients, past or present.
We undertake our work from our offices in Brisbane, Hong Kong, Melbourne and Sydney.
News and thought leadership
- Read our new white paper published jointly with M&C Saatchi on Brand Purpose in International Law Firms. It combines Beaton Capital's research and insight into law firm strategy with M&C Saatchi's creative excellence in brand development. Download here.
- With the support of Professions Australia and FINSIA , beatonlive is presenting Thriving in the New Digital Landscape on 9 March 2016. The program features Professor Peter Weill and Dr Kristine Dery of the MIT/Sloan Centre for Information Systems and prominent Australian practitioners and thought leaders. For more information click here.
- NewLaw New Rules, published by Beaton Capital, is celebrating the second anniversary of our e-book's origins. NewLaw New Rules analyses how trends in industry structure and clients buying behaviour are changing the legal landscape – and in doing so not only creating opportunities for a new category of legal services provider, but also challenging law firms based on the BigLaw traditional business model. Watch our new trailer on NewLaw New Rules here.
Highlights in our blog: Bigger. Better. Both?
What does the pace of law firm mergers mean?
According to a recent ABA Journal article, Law Firm Mergers Continue at Record Pace, the first nine months of 2015 saw the highest number of law firm mergers (in the US) since Altman Weil began tracking them, and all were acquisitions of firms with fewer than 35 lawyers. In late December, Law360 reported that 2015 set a […] Read more…
What law firms and taxis have in common
‘What law firms and taxis have in common’ is my rhetorical way of capturing the relevance to BigLaw firms of a truly insightful article titled What is Disruptive Innovation? by Clayton Christensen and colleagues in Harvard Business Review, December 2015. Read more…
Looking forward to 2016
Last year at this time our post A book or two for the beach proved more popular than expected, particularly in being spread on Twitter and LinkedIn. Perhaps it was the brilliant colours of the umbrellas, the white sand and aquamarine water that interested our northern hemisphere friends? Or was it the brain food in the four books recommended? This […] Read more…